exclude email address from scanning/logging

Stef Morrell stef at aoc-uk.com
Wed Aug 18 14:33:51 IST 2010

Mark Chaney wrote:
>   Unfortunately thats not a cut and paste, so i dont have
> that mistake
> in my rules. Also, from what i have read, that exclude list
> is supposed
> have it completely bypass mailscanner and not be included in
> the scans.
> Though that doesnt seem to be the case. If thats not the way
> to do it,
> what way is?

At a bare minimum, MailScanner has to pick up the mail from one queue,
where it is waiting for processing and put it into a different queue so
it can be delivered, so it's impossible to completely bypass MailScanner
from within MailScanner. You'll see in your mail log something like:

Aug 18 14:26:57 fedecks-1 MailScanner[7638]: New Batch: Forwarding 1
unscanned messages, 1539 bytes

Showing it dealing with unscanned email. Without this step, mail will be
held indefinately, waiting for some process to help it into the outbound
queue.

To 100% avoid MailScanner, you need to find a solution in the MTA,
rather than within MailScanner itself.

Stef