Quarantine problem: Ext3 directory limit to 32000 files

hvdkooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Tue Aug 10 12:23:21 IST 2010

On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 16:49:38 -0700, Lew Wolfgang
<wolfgang at sweet-haven.com>
wrote:
> On 08/09/2010 03:32 PM, Jules Field wrote:
>> The limit is actually 32,000 links to any inode. And I have hit it too.
>> It just hasn't caused me a major problem yet.
>> Unfortunately counting the number of entries in a directory is a slow
>> operation (effectively equivalent to an unsorted "ls") so I don't want
>> do it every time I write a file. Which is why I haven't addressed it
>> before.
>>
>> Can you think of any *fast* ways of overcoming this limit? Other
>> filesystems such as xfs handle a million or so files in a dir without
>> breaking a sweat, it's just a severe limitation of ext3 :-(
>
> We switched many years ago, first to Reiserfs and then to XFS, and
haven't
> looked back since.  Support for both comes out-of-the-box with SuSE
> distributions, but I don't know about the others.  We even use XFS as
> the standard filesystem for desktops these days.

As the OP is using Centos 5 I would recommend to invest some time and
choose XFS instead of EXT4.

See also:
http://www.google.com/search?q=centos+5+xfs

I recall it being relative simple when I needed

Hugo.

--
hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org   http://hugo.vanderkooij.org/