Quarantine problem: Ext3 directory limit to 32000 files

Desai, Jason jase at sensis.com
Mon Aug 9 18:31:25 IST 2010

> >> Especially since this guy quarantines more than 32,000 mail per day.
> >> To delete "old" stuff then is making the users have less than a day to
> >> retrieve their blocked mail. That's poor service.
> >>
> >> His own suggestion of creating hourly catalogs sounded good to me.
> >>
> > Also keep in mind that 32000 files in a directory will be less efficient
> > to work through.
> >
> > Hugo.
> >

> Here is a thought:
>
> Prevention is better than cure.
>
> Why not adjust your mailscanner settings so that it quarantines more
> strictly, I can't possibly envisage quaranting 32000 messages being
> useful under any circumstances, one of my larger clients with several
> tens of thousands users still only gets 10 or so messages a day in the
> quarantine, so my guess is, rightly or wrongly, that your configuration
> is far too keen to qaurantine and needs to throw more away,  at MTA
> level and in Mailscanner, this is easily achievable and still keep false
> positives to virtually zero.

Are you sure there is a limit of 32,000 files in a directory?  I think there is a limit of 32,000 subdirectories.  I'm not sure about 32,000 files though.

Jase
-
This message is intended only for the addressee and may contain information that is company confidential or privileged.  Any technical data in this message may be exported only in accordance with the U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (22 CFR Parts 120-130) or the Export Administration Regulations (15 CFR Parts 730-774). Unauthorized use is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, or the person responsible for delivering to the intended recipient, you should not read, copy, disclose or otherwise use this message. If you have received this email in error, please delete it, and advise the sender immediately.
-