Quarantine problem: Ext3 directory limit to 32000 files

Peter Farrow peter at farrows.org
Mon Aug 9 17:55:32 IST 2010

On 09/08/2010 15:44, hvdkooij wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 16:35:39 +0200, Peter Bonivart<bonivart at opencsw.org>
> wrote:
>

>> Especially since this guy quarantines more than 32,000 mail per day.
>> To delete "old" stuff then is making the users have less than a day to
>> retrieve their blocked mail. That's poor service.
>>
>> His own suggestion of creating hourly catalogs sounded good to me.
>>
> Also keep in mind that 32000 files in a directory will be less efficient
> to work through.
>
> Hugo.

Here is a thought:

Prevention is better than cure.

Why not adjust your mailscanner settings so that it quarantines more
strictly, I can't possibly envisage quaranting 32000 messages being
useful under any circumstances, one of my larger clients with several
tens of thousands users still only gets 10 or so messages a day in the
quarantine, so my guess is, rightly or wrongly, that your configuration
is far too keen to qaurantine and needs to throw more away,  at MTA
level and in Mailscanner, this is easily achievable and still keep false
positives to virtually zero.

P.