MailScanner on Ubuntu 6.06 - Compress::ZLib "with the XS version" error

Michael Miller mmlist at mjmm.org
Fri Apr 9 10:06:15 IST 2010

Hi,

I have done a lab upgrade of one of our MailScanner servers which has
run into a snag. The server is Ubuntu 6.06 with some packaged Perl
modules and some manually installed modules (please don't ask for the
list of which is which!!).

The update of MailScanner went through fine, but when trying to start
MailScanner I get:
root at host:/opt/MailScanner/bin# ./MailScanner
 is only avaliable with the XS version at
/usr/local/share/perl/5.8.7/Compress/Zlib.pm line 9
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/local/share/perl/5.8.7/Compress/Zlib.pm line 9.
Compilation failed in require at /opt/MailScanner/lib/MailScanner/SA.pm
line 42.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /opt/MailScanner/lib/MailScanner/SA.pm
line 42.
Compilation failed in require at ./MailScanner.orig line 110.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./MailScanner.orig line 110.
root at host:/opt/MailScanner/bin#

I have done some searching for help and have found some various
references to this error but not directly related to MailScanner. The
common fix appears to be to manually reinstall the Scalar::Util Perl
module. However this did not fix the MailScanner problem. Using a test
program I found on the Internet reveals that the XS support is indeed
present.

Digging further I found that adding the following line to line 38 (just
after "require 5.005;") of the MailScanner script resolves the problem:
use Scalar::Util qw(dualvar);

This seems to be related to the BEGIN block which appears to alter the
library load/search order.

Not sure if this is useful or not or if anyone else has come across this
problem.

Regards,
Mike