Filename reporting issue - was: Filename enconding in auto-zip feature

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Sep 30 16:39:36 IST 2009

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 09:16:57AM +0100, Julian Field wrote:

> I have just tried it out with a message with 3 file attached to it:
>     Nasty & horrible.doc .doc
>     Nasty&horrible.doc .doc
>     Nasty&horrible.doc.zip
> and in all cases it behaves just the way I would expect it to.
>
> Other than the filenames reported, what do you actually think is going
> wrong?

Nothing, but the file name reporting is the problem. If the name contains
an ampersand or perhaps other characters that are turned into %nn, in some
cases, the 'first extension' will be dropped entirely in the report. For
example, in the test mail I sent in the zip file attached to the message
archived at
<http://lists.mailscanner.info/pipermail/mailscanner/2009-September/093341.html>
the names "Motion & Order.txt   .doc" and "Motion & Order.doc   .doc" are
reported as

   MailScanner: Attempt to hide real filename extension (Motion %26 Order.doc)

leaving the recipient and the mail admin wondering how that name triggered
that rule.

I don't have any problem with certain characters being escaped as %nn,
but I do think that dropping pieces of the name, in particular in some
cases entire 'extensions' is a problem.

--
Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro net       The highway is for gamblers,