Filename reporting issue - was: Filename enconding in auto-zip feature

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Sep 27 19:21:32 IST 2009

On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 12:01:06PM +0100, Julian Field wrote:
> Mark Sapiro wrote:
> >On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 04:52:53PM +0100, Julian Field wrote:
> >
> >>Please try out 4.78.16 which is available for download at
> >>www.mailscanner.info.
> >>
> >>Hopefully the handling of Unicode and foreign characters sets in
> >>attachment filenames will be a lot better than it was.
> >>
> >>Please let me know what you think.
> >>
> >>I am now approaching a stable release, so please report any and all bugs
> >>as soon as you can.
> >>

> >Hi Jules,
> >
> >What is the status of the filename reporting issue noted at
> >
> >http://lists.mailscanner.info/pipermail/mailscanner/2009-September/093259.html
> >
> >and discussed in the three messages at
> >
> >http://lists.mailscanner.info/pipermail/mailscanner/2009-September/093278.html
> >
> >http://lists.mailscanner.info/pipermail/mailscanner/2009-September/093279.html
> >
> >and
> >
> >http://lists.mailscanner.info/pipermail/mailscanner/2009-September/093285.html
> >
> >I have seen nothing further on this since my reply in the last of these
> >messages. I have just verified the issue still exists in 4.78.16
> I was unable to reproduce the problem. I tested the code that generates
> the safe filenames, and it worked just as I expected.
> If you can send me the raw sendmail queue files of a message that
> demonstrates the bug, I will take a look.

I don't use sendmail, so I can't send you sendmail queue files. I can
send you postfix files, but that should not be necessary since a message
is trivial to create. I have attached message.zip which contains
message.txt which is a raw message that shows the problem.

In this case, there are two attached files "Motion & Order.txt   .doc"
and "Motion & Order.doc   .doc" which are reported by MailScanner as
"Motion %26 Order.doc: and "Motion %26 Order-1.doc"

This depends on the & in the file name and the exact munging/dropping of
the first extension also depends on how many spaces are between the two
extensions.

--
Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro net       The highway is for gamblers,