Filename enconding in auto-zip feature

Pedro Arinto pedro.arinto at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 12:46:48 IST 2009

Hi Alex,
Unfortunately, since I work in Portugal, it is impossible to avoid using
non-English characters in filenames. Even if I could somehow tell our users
to avoid international characters, i cannot control everyone who sends us
email.
All platforms I've tested (Mac, Windows & Linux) see the same messed up
filenames in the zip file. The difference is that in Windows, with most
unzip packages (like 7-zip), there is an error when unzipping the file. In
Mac, Linux & Windows with Winzip, the unzip operation is successful, but the
filenames are garbled. This wouldn't be a big problem if the file extension
remained the same as the original file, but it also gets messed up. Since
most of our users are non-technical, this is a big problem for them.

Can the zip feature be enabled selectively with a ruleset ? This would
partially solve our problems, but as far as I can tell it is a system-wide
setting.

Thanks,

Pedro