The amazing case of the missing .spamassassin directory

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 22:09:49 IST 2009

2009/9/9 Mauricio Tavares <raubvogel at gmail.com>:
> Jules Field wrote:
>>
>> MailScanner will run as the "Run As User" and "Run As Group" you have set
>> in MailScanner.conf, which should be "postfix". So you need to ensure that
>> its home directory (/var/spool/postfix in your case) is writeable by the
>> postfix user, and you will need to do all the sa-learn commands as the
>> postfix user as well.
>>
>        I think you found the problem:
>
> root:/etc/MailScanner# ls -ld /var/spool/postfix
> drwxr-xr-x 19 root root 4096 2008-12-03 10:01 /var/spool/postfix
> root:/etc/MailScanner#
>
> What would be the best way to address this issue? Make postfix:postfix
> own the directory or have postfix be the group and then make it group
> writable?

As said ... neither... Or if you do make it writable to postfix, just
do it "temporarily, that is to say:
make it writable to postfix (via a chmod)
start MailScanner so that it creates the directories SA wants
stop MailScanner
revert the chmod change, so that it isn't wratable to postfix.
... Or look into doing what I suggested in the other mail;-).

Cheers
--
-- Glenn