The amazing case of the missing .spamassassin directory

Jules Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Sep 9 16:09:58 IST 2009

MailScanner will run as the "Run As User" and "Run As Group" you have
set in MailScanner.conf, which should be "postfix". So you need to
ensure that its home directory (/var/spool/postfix in your case) is
writeable by the postfix user, and you will need to do all the sa-learn
commands as the postfix user as well.

On 09/09/2009 15:54, Mauricio Tavares wrote:
>     I was running sa-learn after moving spam that was classified as
> ham to
> the spam folders here in one of our mail servers (i.e. some
> housecleaning). But, when I did so, I got a lot of messages like these:
>
> Learned tokens from 0 message(s) (1 message(s) examined)
> bayes: locker: safe_lock: cannot create tmp lockfile
> /var/spool/postfix/.spamassassin/bayes.lock.mail.domain.com.908 for
> /var/spool/postfix/.spamassassin/bayes.lock: No such file or directory
> bayes: expire_old_tokens: locker: safe_lock: cannot create tmp lockfile
> /var/spool/postfix/.spamassassin/bayes.lock.mail.domain.com.910 for
> /var/spool/postfix/.spamassassin/bayes.lock: No such file or directory
>
> I understand it can't find the said lock file because the directory
> /var/spool/postfix/.spamassassin does not exist. But, who creates the
> said directory? I looked at MailScanner.conf and
> spam.assassin.prefs.conf. Right now I still do not know who is supposed
> to create the said directory (which is probably the first step in
> finding out why it is not being created, perhaps due to some permission
> issue thingie).

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng