The amazing case of the missing .spamassassin directory

Mauricio Tavares raubvogel at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 15:54:11 IST 2009

	I was running sa-learn after moving spam that was classified as ham to
the spam folders here in one of our mail servers (i.e. some
housecleaning). But, when I did so, I got a lot of messages like these:

Learned tokens from 0 message(s) (1 message(s) examined)
bayes: locker: safe_lock: cannot create tmp lockfile
/var/spool/postfix/.spamassassin/bayes.lock.mail.domain.com.908 for
/var/spool/postfix/.spamassassin/bayes.lock: No such file or directory
bayes: expire_old_tokens: locker: safe_lock: cannot create tmp lockfile
/var/spool/postfix/.spamassassin/bayes.lock.mail.domain.com.910 for
/var/spool/postfix/.spamassassin/bayes.lock: No such file or directory

I understand it can't find the said lock file because the directory
/var/spool/postfix/.spamassassin does not exist. But, who creates the
said directory? I looked at MailScanner.conf and
spam.assassin.prefs.conf. Right now I still do not know who is supposed
to create the said directory (which is probably the first step in
finding out why it is not being created, perhaps due to some permission
issue thingie).