Trying to get MCP working

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at mailscanner.open.source.it
Fri Oct 30 21:26:21 GMT 2009

On Friday 30 October 2009 11:44, Glenn Steen wrote:

> 2009/10/30, Antony Stone <Antony.Stone at mailscanner.open.source.it>:

> >> Don't use MCP. Use SA rule hit actions instead. If your version lack
> >> that, then upgrade to one that has it...!
> >
> > 4.74.16 does have that feature, yes, however it also has the MCP feature
> > (which I've used in the past with older releases of MailScanner, and feel
> > that I understand better).  Are you saying that MCP no longer works?
> >
> > In the config file they appear to be presented as two ways of achieving
> > similar things, but there's nothing to suggest that if I choose to use
> > MCP, it simply won't work...

> Sorry to be a bit terse, tapping mails on my Aino is a bit of a pain.
> MCP should work just fine, but it is inefficient since it requires
> another instance of SA.
> If Julian had thought of the rule hit thing, I don't think he'd done
> MCP at all.;-)
> It is the future, so why not move on to that? Once you've switched,
> you'll not look back:-D.

Okay, I've looked into this a bit further, and I have the following puzzles /
questions:

1. You say "MCP should work just fine, but it is inefficient..." - I
understand this, and I'd still like to be able to debug why I cannot get MCP
working on this system.

Can anyone help me work out why MCP doesn't match any of the tests I've
created - what debugging can I do?  (I tried setting "Debug SpamAssassin =
yes" but this gave me no extra output at all).

2. I think I've understood the SA Rule Actions (although I've not been able to
find any meaningful examples...), and I don't see how to do the following
things, which I do know how to do with MCP:

 - modify the subject line to indicate potentially bad content
 - bounce a message back to the sender to say their message has been blocked

Obviously I'd only want to do the first if I deliver the message, and the
second if I don't, but it's not my choice which the end user of the system is
going to want done - it may be both, based on two lists of words.

Thanks for any help (from anyone, not necessarily just Glenn).

Antony.

--
"There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in their home."

 - Ken Olsen, President of Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC, later consumed
by Compaq, later merged with HP)

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.