Perl 5.10.1 FreeBSD 7.2 fresh install

Jose Amengual M pepe at rdc.cl
Mon Oct 26 18:12:19 GMT 2009

Hi Guys.

I saw some emails about perl 5.10.1 giving errors when running
mailscanner, I had the same problem and I follow the instructions
below but it din't work for me, but finally after 2 days of work I
found the solution!!!.

This is working 7.2 should work on 8.0.

if you have already mailscanner installed don't worry, portupgrade can
do all the job for you :).

1.- Remove old perl version :
pkg_info|grep perl ( copy the exact name of you perl version like
perl5.10.1 )
pkg_delete -f perl5.10.1

2.- Install old perl.
pkg_add -r ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-7.2-release/lang/perl-5.10.0_2.tbz

3.- Clean up any work directory
portsclean -C

4.- Update pkgdb add upgrade any perl package
pkgdb -Ff
portupgrade -fr perl ( this is going to upgrade everything that uses
perl including mailscanner).
perl-after-upgrade && perl-after-upgrade -f

After that the error was gone and everything was working fine.

I was in the process of deciding of going towards mailscanner or
amavisd-new and I decided to use mailscanner because was easier to
configure and I expend 2 days fixing a problem with perl that I didn't
have on amavis :).

I hope this help.

Thanks.

Jose Amengual.

On 2009-10-25, at 9:52 PM, Lyndon Labuschagne wrote:

> Hi All
> Well seems we have the perl chown -T issue again
>
> This is a fresh install (installed without perl)
> installed perl5.10.1 first then apache mysql etc etc. finally
> installing MailScanner and letting the port install all its
> dependancies
>
> Anyone have any ideas at all?
>
> <root at mailav02:~># mailscanner --lint
> Trying to setlogsock(unix)
>
> Reading configuration file /usr/local/etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf
> Reading configuration file /usr/local/etc/MailScanner/conf.d/README
> Config: calling custom init function SQLBlacklist
> Config: calling custom init function MailWatchLogging
> Config: calling custom init function SQLWhitelist
>
> Checking version numbers...
> Version number in MailScanner.conf (4.78.17) is correct.
>
> Your envelope_sender_header in spam.assassin.prefs.conf is correct.
> MailScanner setting GID to  (125)
> MailScanner setting UID to  (125)
>
> Checking for SpamAssassin errors (if you use it)...
> Using SpamAssassin results cache
> Connected to SpamAssassin cache database
> SpamAssassin reported no errors.
> Connected to Processing Attempts Database
> Created Processing Attempts Database successfully
> There are 0 messages in the Processing Attempts Database
> Using locktype = posix
> MailScanner.conf says "Virus Scanners = clamav"
> Found these virus scanners installed: clamd
> =
> =
> =
> =