Betr.: [OT] MailScanner and SSDs

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 14:09:29 GMT 2009

2009/10/26 <Amelein at dantumadiel.eu>

> Considering the limited amount of writes you have on an SSD still I'd say that using SSD's for an MTA would not be the best idea.
> Mail servers handle lots of tiny files so in that view SSD's would be perfect with their low access times, everything is possible as long as you stuff enough money into it :-)
> If its just for archiving I'd suggest a raid 5 or 6 array with cheap sata disks. (5 can handle 1 disk failure, 6 can handle 2, add hot spares depending on how secure you want the data)
> I think the same principals apply as for a fileserver, it depends on how much file IO you are expecting to have and the kind of data on it.

(snip)
Well, sure the SSD will suffer from a limited amount of writes, but
the whole point of using one would be to gain performance, and to do
so where it counts the most. Which means actually using the thing for
write-intense things.
The similar thing for an Oracle DB, for example, would be to put all
control files and UNDO/REDO on the SSD (counterintuitively... goes
against any OFA recomendations of old:-).
Using them for read-intense things would be nice to, but a large
factor less productive, from a performance perspective.

One could reason that when one moves to having stuff on an SSD, one
has moved up the budget ladder... So having to buy new ones from time
to time wouldn't be a problem;-):-)

Cheers
--
-- Glenn