MailScanner: killedmailscanner

Christo Bezuidenhout christo at it4africa.co.za
Tue Oct 20 14:58:48 IST 2009

Good day all,

I just started noticing a strange think on my mailserver. Out of the
blue I get messages being blocked under other infection in MailScanner.
What I can see in Mailwatch is that the header of the messages are
repeated about 9 times on the message with no errors and on the last
header it is blocked. In Mailwatch report is shows as MailScanner:
killedmailscanner

I have checked and the original mail files only have one mail header.

Upon closer inspection I can see 9 records written to the mailwatch
database with exactly the same data. Only on the last record the the
other infected is 1 and the report has MailScanner: killedmailscanner

This happens with mail that is actually whitelisted.

I'm running
FC2 with
MS 4.77.10
SpamAssassin version 3.2.5 running on
Perl version 5.8.1
ClamAV 0.95.2/9913/Tue Oct 20 05:42:36 2009

Disclaimer and confidentiality note

Everything in this e-mail and any attachments relating to the official business
of AGI is proprietary to the company. It is confidential, legally privileged and
protected by law. AGI does not own and endorse any other content. Views and opinions
are those of the sender unless clearly stated as being that of AGI.

The person addressed in the e-mail is the sole authorised recipient. Please notify
the sender immediately if it has unintentionally reached you and do not read, disclose
or use the content in any way.

AGI cannot assure that the integrity of this communication has been maintained
nor that it is free of errors, virus, interception or interference.