Betr.: Re: Message attempted to kill MailScanner

Amelein at dantumadiel.eu Amelein at dantumadiel.eu
Mon Oct 19 13:25:01 IST 2009

I am having the same thing on a low volume (home server) scanner.
I tracked it down to the 'child dying of old age' event which triggers MS to spawn a new process, because of the low volume all of the childs usually restart in short order of each other because the incoming mail gets handed off to the next child which also dies of old age when its triggered. This happens because my grey listing setup can keep MS idle for hours on end before something actually gets delivered.

On my high volume server this problem hardly never arrises, only with the very occasional spam mail which is probably designed to actually kill the server.

-
Arjan

On 10/18/09 22:39, Brent Addis wrote:
> Wow. having a bad day there Hugo? It was a fairly simple question which
> I am sure did not deserve the tone of that response.

Well. Let's take the information at hand. There is little to no
information to go on here. No version details, indication what bit of
the complex system it is left in, resource usage, .....

But I have worked with quite a few number of customers and oddly enough
some spam you might expect everywhere is most definitly not everywhere.

Some sorts of spam are killed almost completely by RBL actions of the
MTA by 1 customer and detected by another as spam while a third customer
does not even get them at all.

So I think it is safe to assume that no 2 domains MUST receive identical
types of spam and providing some samples will enable people to
troubleshoot and test the samples.

Hugo