spamc, spamd and spamassassin

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 16:05:31 IST 2009

2009/10/15 Roland de Lepper <roland.de.lepper at cvis.nl>:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm evaluating MailScanner, the commecrial edition from FSL.
> They provide a nice set of installation packages which can be downloaded
> via yum groupinstall.
>
> I installed the software from their server, including spamassassin.
> I did some test from the website declude.com. This site provide simple
> tests to test your spamassassin and virus scanner.
>
> The badheader, spamheader and routing test fail. This means, it will go
> through Mailscanner and the email is delivered to the recipient.
>
> This not good, because i tested it with another domain, which have
> Mailscanner in front of it, and those mails were blocked. I can not see
> have the other MailScanner is configured.
>
> So I did some tests with spamassasin. The default packages from FSL
> contains only spamc. The parameter "Use Spamassassin" in MailScanner is
> set to YES.
>
> [root at eumailscan tmp]# spamc < ClamAV.update.log
> --------------------------------------
> ClamAV update process started at Thu Oct 15 15:07:02 2009
> main.cvd is up to date (version: 51, sigs: 545035, f-level: 42, builder:
> sven)
> Downloading daily-9900.cdiff [100%]
> daily.cld updated (version: 9900, sigs: 84847, f-level: 43, builder: sven)
> Database updated (629882 signatures) from db.nl.clamav.net (IP: 194.109.6.97)
> Clamd successfully notified about the update.
> [root at eumailscan tmp]#
>
> [root at eumailscan tmp]# spamassassin < ClamAV.update.log
>        *  0.0 MISSING_DATE Missing Date: header
>        * -0.0 NO_RELAYS Informational: message was not relayed via SMTP
>        *  2.5 MISSING_HB_SEP Missing blank line between message header and body
>        *  1.6 MISSING_HEADERS Missing To: header
>        *  1.3 MISSING_SUBJECT Missing Subject: header
>        * -0.0 NO_RECEIVED Informational: message has no Received headers
>        *  0.0 NO_HEADERS_MESSAGE Message appears to be missing most RFC-822
>        *      headers
> --------------------------------------
> Subject: [SPAM]
> ClamAV update process started at Thu Oct 15 15:07:02 2009
> main.cvd is up to date (version: 51, sigs: 545035, f-level: 42, builder:
> sven)
> Downloading daily-9900.cdiff [100%]
> daily.cld updated (version: 9900, sigs: 84847, f-level: 43, builder: sven)
> Database updated (629882 signatures) from db.nl.clamav.net (IP: 194.109.6.97)
> Clamd successfully notified about the update.
> [root at eumailscan tmp]#
>
> You see the difference? It is checking the headers!
>
> MailScanne is blocking spam though, but not from the test from declude.com.
> No spamc or spamassassin deamon is running on my system.
> So how does MailScanner calls SpamAssassin? Does it call spamc instead of
> Spamassassin?
>
> Hope somebody can clearify my problem.

MailScanner doesn't use spamc. If by "FSL MailScanner" you mean
DefenderMX, I can't say for sure, but if it is the yum repo (which it
seems you are refering to)... then no, it doesn't use spamc/spamd.
It capitalizes the fact that SA is perl, and instantiate an internal
copy (call the perl interface directly, one could say). So the output
MS produce will differ from that of the spamassassin command, but not
the result... if the same setup is used (you might be running postfix,
in which case you need take care regarding permissions... and how you
call the respective commands) that is.

What does "MailScanner --lint" tell you? What does a complete debug
run tell you (MailScanner --debug --debug-sa)?

Cheers
--
-- Glenn