spamc, spamd and spamassassin

Roland de Lepper roland.de.lepper at cvis.nl
Thu Oct 15 15:04:52 IST 2009

Hi there,

I'm evaluating MailScanner, the commecrial edition from FSL.
They provide a nice set of installation packages which can be downloaded
via yum groupinstall.

I installed the software from their server, including spamassassin.
I did some test from the website declude.com. This site provide simple
tests to test your spamassassin and virus scanner.

The badheader, spamheader and routing test fail. This means, it will go
through Mailscanner and the email is delivered to the recipient.

This not good, because i tested it with another domain, which have
Mailscanner in front of it, and those mails were blocked. I can not see
have the other MailScanner is configured.

So I did some tests with spamassasin. The default packages from FSL
contains only spamc. The parameter "Use Spamassassin" in MailScanner is
set to YES.

[root at eumailscan tmp]# spamc < ClamAV.update.log
--------------------------------------
ClamAV update process started at Thu Oct 15 15:07:02 2009
main.cvd is up to date (version: 51, sigs: 545035, f-level: 42, builder:
sven)
Downloading daily-9900.cdiff [100%]
daily.cld updated (version: 9900, sigs: 84847, f-level: 43, builder: sven)
Database updated (629882 signatures) from db.nl.clamav.net (IP: 194.109.6.97)
Clamd successfully notified about the update.
[root at eumailscan tmp]#

[root at eumailscan tmp]# spamassassin < ClamAV.update.log
	*  0.0 MISSING_DATE Missing Date: header
	* -0.0 NO_RELAYS Informational: message was not relayed via SMTP
	*  2.5 MISSING_HB_SEP Missing blank line between message header and body
	*  1.6 MISSING_HEADERS Missing To: header
	*  1.3 MISSING_SUBJECT Missing Subject: header
	* -0.0 NO_RECEIVED Informational: message has no Received headers
	*  0.0 NO_HEADERS_MESSAGE Message appears to be missing most RFC-822
	*      headers
--------------------------------------
Subject: [SPAM]
ClamAV update process started at Thu Oct 15 15:07:02 2009
main.cvd is up to date (version: 51, sigs: 545035, f-level: 42, builder:
sven)
Downloading daily-9900.cdiff [100%]
daily.cld updated (version: 9900, sigs: 84847, f-level: 43, builder: sven)
Database updated (629882 signatures) from db.nl.clamav.net (IP: 194.109.6.97)
Clamd successfully notified about the update.
[root at eumailscan tmp]#

You see the difference? It is checking the headers!

MailScanne is blocking spam though, but not from the test from declude.com.
No spamc or spamassassin deamon is running on my system.
So how does MailScanner calls SpamAssassin? Does it call spamc instead of
Spamassassin?

Hope somebody can clearify my problem.

Regards,

Roland