Got a real nightmare on my hands installing the newest

Dimitri Yioulos dyioulos at firstbhph.com
Tue Oct 13 15:12:00 IST 2009

wrote:
> >> I just tried updating MS on a Centos 3 box.
> >> Seems like a lot of the perl modules need
> >> perl-5.8.1, while the latest perl for Centos
> >> 3 is only 5.8.0-94, so a lot of stuff
> >> failed, along with MS.
> >>
> >> I started installing what was needed with
> >> rpmbuild, but got into the dependency
> >> circle, so I tried going back a to MS 4.72.
> >> Now a lot of the modules were deleted by the
> >> new stuff and I'm not sure that they weren't
> >> just ignored in the 4.72 install.
> >>
> >> Anyone got a suggestion for me who has done
> >> the Centos 3 install?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> steve campbell
> >>
> >> --
> >>fo/mailscanner
> >>
> >> Before posting, read
> >> http://wiki.mailscanner.info/posting
> >>
> >> Support MailScanner development - buy the
> >> book off the website!
> >
> > Steve,
> >
> > I have to ask why are you are installing on
> > OS that's no longer supported?
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Steve
>
> Not supported by whom? Centos 3 is still a
> viable OS. If our company had the resources to
> install on new equipment and I had spares, I'd
> do it. But we don't, so I can't upgrade
> hardware and OS as easily as I'd like to.
>
> Now, does anyone have a real suggestion?
>
> steve

>mailscanner
>
> Before posting, read
> http://wiki.mailscanner.info/posting
>
> Support MailScanner development - buy the book
> off the website!

I, too, am still using CentOS 3 as my mail server
platform, and I, too, ran into the problems you
describe.  I'm running the same perl version as
you, as well.  IIRC, I updated all of the perl
modules that MS uses (from Dag repository), then
installed MS from the RPM itself.  It worked/is
still working great.

HTH.

Dimitri

believed to be clean.