Need help from Exim users

Rick Cooper rcooper at dwford.com
Fri Oct 2 16:37:48 IST 2009

----Original Message----
From: mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info
[mailto:mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info] On Behalf Of The Doctor
Sent: Friday, October 02, 2009 10:41 AM To:
mailscanner at lists.mailscanner.info Subject: Need help from Exim users

> Well Postfix is not doing the anti-spam I was
> hoping it would do and the 'jailing' is not working.
>
> I elect to go to Exim.
>
> What do I need to get get RBLS, virtual E-mail and stuff working
> before adding MailScanner?
>
> --
> Member - Liberal International	This is doctor at nl2k.ab.ca
> Ici doctor at nl2k.ab.ca God, Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising!
> Never Satan President Republic!
> For the latest World News go to http://www.cuttingedge.org/

That depends on what you want to do and how. The relevent portion of my rcpt
acl reads:

deny  message  = rejected because $sender_host_address is in a black list \
				 at $dnslist_domain $dnslist_text (ADDED TO
FIREWALL)
 hosts = !/MyRulesDir/Mail_local_net:!/MyRulesDir/mail_relay_from_domains
 senders = !/MyRulesDir/Mail_sender_white_list.conf
 dnslists   = ${expand:${readfile{/MyRulesDir/mail_rbl_lists}{:}}}
 condition = ${run{/A_Special_Place/ExiBlockWrapper $sender_host_address
24h}\
	              {yes}{yes}}

This acl says if the sending host is not a local machine, and it's not from
a host we relay for, and the sender is not in a local whitelist (used for
other rules as well) then run it through the rbls listed in
/MyRulesDir/mail_rbl_lists (which is cached if the file has not changed the
list is not re-read) if it's listed add the host to iptables for the next 24
hours (this is a custom program not part of exim) and deny it with the
message following "deny message" which includes the results from the look
up.

The file /MyRulesDir/mail_rbl_lists is a text file with entries like:
zen.spamhaus.org
Other.rbl.list
Etc.rnl.list

I do this so I can add, subtract or otherwise modify rbl lists without
restarting exim. I recommend you look at the exim spec section 40 (40.24+)
because you can also add a lot more control if you wish, like:

zen.spamhaus.org=127.0.0.2,127.0.0.3 (match only if returns 127.0.0.2 or
127.0.0.3)
	or
zen.spamhaus.org!=127.0.0.3 (match all except 127.0.0.3)

Also, priority matters as the check stops with the first hit.

Read the spec, and join the exim list

Rick

believed to be clean.