MailScanner Looping? - REVISITED with more info

Edward Dekkers edward at tdcs.com.au
Sun Nov 29 01:00:38 GMT 2009

***UPDATE*** attachment files linked here because message size was too big
for mailing list:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/tizj1mmgtnt/9FC8FC702F1

http://www.mediafire.com/file/43z2n41mzox/C8A3CC70115

P.S. I HAVE notice Alessandro has a similar problem - perhaps he can
elaborate as well and compare notes?

RECAP - MailScanner is looping - it runs on a batch of messages, and one or
two will break something and cause MS to NOT clear the queue, resulting in a
loop. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to process the messages that are fine
causing non-problematic to pile up in the HOLD queue.

Configuration:

Upgrade Ubuntu Server from 9.04 to 9.10 recently - never any issues before.

Previously Glenn has asked me to keep an eye on this and give some more
debugging information:

> The lint can be done with MailScanner live, but the debug is better
> run with the system "quiscent"... That way you have better control and
> can inspect the queue files in the "incoming" (PF "out";-)
> directory... If any. The debug will take one batch from hold, so if
> one want to check one message at a time... ;-)
>
> > Regards,
> > Ed.
> >
> Cheers
> --
> -- Glenn

Herewith I present the results of MailScanner --lint:

root at ubuntu:/usr/share/MailScanner/bin# MailScanner --lint
Trying to setlogsock(unix)
Read 856 hostnames from the phishing whitelist
Read 8708 hostnames from the phishing blacklist
Checking version numbers...
Version number in MailScanner.conf (4.74.16) is correct.

Your envelope_sender_header in spam.assassin.prefs.conf is correct.
MailScanner setting GID to  (121)
MailScanner setting UID to  (113)

Checking for SpamAssassin errors (if you use it)...
Using SpamAssassin results cache
Connected to SpamAssassin cache database
SpamAssassin reported no errors.
Using locktype = posix
MailScanner.conf says "Virus Scanners = clamav"
Found these virus scanners installed: clamd
Insecure dependency in chown while running with -T switch at
/usr/share/MailScanner//MailScanner/Message.pm line 2407.

I then place message 9FC8FC702F1 in the queue and get this with MailScanner
--debug:

=========
root at ubuntu:/usr/share/MailScanner/bin# MailScanner --debug
In Debugging mode, not forking...
Trying to setlogsock(unix)
Building a message batch to scan...
Have a batch of 1 message.
max message size is '200k'
Insecure dependency in open while running with -T switch at
/usr/lib/perl/5.10/IO/File.pm line 63.
========================

I remove that message from the queue, and enter message C8A3CC70115:

root at ubuntu:/usr/share/MailScanner/bin# MailScanner --debug
In Debugging mode, not forking...
Trying to setlogsock(unix)
Building a message batch to scan...
Have a batch of 1 message.
Insecure dependency in open while running with -T switch at
/usr/lib/perl/5.10/IO/File.pm line 63.

The above two messages will cause MailScanner to fail. The thing about the
-T switch doesn't seem to affect the messages without a problem, but if you
guys have a clue about how to get rid of that error messages, I'd be
grateful.

I've attached the problematic messages.

Hopefully I've provided you guys with a lot more this time.

Regards,
Ed.

believed to be clean.