Sophos failure: sophos-autoupdate is missing new Sophos files

Daniel Straka Dstraka at caspercollege.edu
Fri Nov 6 22:40:18 GMT 2009

--

Dan Straka
Systems Coordinator
Casper College
307.268.2399
http://www.caspercollege.edu

Lamb <pal at mssl.ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
> The Sophos AV November 2009 distribution:-
> 	Product version           : 4.47.0
> 	Engine version            : 3.01.0
> 	Virus data version        : 4.47
> 	User interface version    : 2.07.250
> 	Platform                  : Linux/Intel
> 	Released                  : 02 November 2009
>
> is installing additional files
> 	./lib/xvdl*.vdb
>
> sophos-autoupdate will not create softlinks to these in ./ide/
>
> Running sweep through strace shows an open failure on
> /usr/local/Sophos/ide/xvdl01.vdb leading to
>   "Error initialising detection engine - missing part of virus data"
>
> As a quick workround, I have added the following cloned fragment into
> sophos-autoupdate before "Add the new swpmess.dat..." -
>
> # Add the even newer xvdl*.vdb files if they are there
> foreach $vdlsus ("xvdl") {
>    foreach $number (1..99) {
>      $string = $vdlsus . sprintf("%02d", $number) . ".vdb";
>      symlink("$VDLDir/$string", $string) if -f "$VDLDir/$string";
>    }
> }
> # end
>
> I am running MailScanner version 4.72.5 whose version of
> sophos-autoupdate looks little different to the current version.
>
> Regards,
> Paul Lamb

Another fix with a less typing :-) seems to work for my installation.
Sent to me by Joachim Holzfuss <hofu12 at physik.tu-darmstadt.de>

you have to add xvdlXX.vdb to the list of virus defs in
/usr/lib/MailScanner/sophos-autoupdate

like this
---- excerpt

# Add the new vdl*.vdb files if they are there
foreach $vdlsus ("vdl", "sus", "xvdl") {

----end excerpt