MailScanner 4.78

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 12:40:48 GMT 2009

2009/11/2 Ryan Ivey <iveymr at gmail.com>:
> After upgrading to 4.78, I'm having problems getting MailScanner to process
> mail properly.  It seems to only process mail originating from our domain.
> Incoming email seems to hang in the queue indefinitely.
>
> Specifically, I believe the problem is here:
>

> [root at mailserver incoming]# /usr/sbin/MailScanner --debug
>
> In Debugging mode, not forking...
> Trying to setlogsock(unix)
> Building a message batch to scan...
> Can't call method "print" on an undefined value at
> /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/PFDiskStore.pm line 743.

Something is pretyty much wrong here, probably regardiing directory
permissions... Can the user "postfix" (or whatever PF runs as) really
write to that working directory? Methinks not:-).
Test it with "su - postfix -s /bin/bash", and then try cd into place,
use touch and mkdir etc to see where (and what) the problem seems to
be.

> Some searching lead to checking the permission on the working dir:
> drwxrwxr-x 14 clamav  clamav  4096 Nov  2 10:04 incoming

Dear me, but you are _not_ running postfix as the clamav user, now are you?
So chown that appropriately, and things should start cooking. While
you're at it, since it seems you are trying to get clamd running
correctly, be aware that you need setup MS so that the incoming
directories are owned postfix.clamav and that the permissions are at
least 0640 ... So that both postfix and clamd can read (and possibly
write:-) the dirs.

(snip)
Cheers
--