problem with requeue losing recipient

Harondel J. Sibble mailscanner at pdscc.com
Wed Nov 4 07:22:02 GMT 2009

On 4 Nov 2009 at 0:33, Hugo van der Kooij wrote:

> The message was NOT accepted according to this log line. Your greylist
> prevented that.

I noticed that after posting....

> This one however is accepted.

I never realized it would greylist on a per recipient basis like that

> Basically your postfix config  accepted the connection but not all of
> the recipients. So only the allowed recipients will receive the message.
> but the sender has patted itself on the back for yet another job well
> done.

The odd thing about this, is the client had another instance of this
happening today, what's interesting is that the Exchange 2007 server that MS
is relaying for shows it sees all 3 recipients (1x To: and 2x CC), but only
successfully delivers to the recipient in the To field, The Exchange tracking
shows the other 2 recipients stuck at the RESOLVE, ROUTING stage.

The other strange thing is nothing has changed on this box in months.

> You should disconnect after a 450 and not keep the SMTP connection open
> to prevent the ambigious situation you have created.

Is this what you are refering too?

    # The unknown_local_recipient_reject_code specifies the SMTP server
    # response code when a recipient domain matches $mydestination or
    # ${proxy,inet}_interfaces, while $local_recipient_maps is non-empty
    # and the recipient address or address local-part is not found.
    #
    # The default setting is 550 (reject mail) but it is safer to start
    # with 450 (try again later) until you are certain that your
    # local_recipient_maps settings are OK.
    #
    unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550

> A packet capture will propably show this much clearer. (tcpdump and
> wireshark are your friends here.)
>
> I do not recall having done anything special to make it work the way I
> explained. Can you show the postfix configuration?

Same, I have at least a half dozen or so mail relays like this at various
sites with the same kind of config without any issues.

are you asking to the see the whole config file?  Does postfix have a way to
output just the active settings in the main.cf without comments. I know there
is a way to do this with dovecot, but don't know if postfix has a similar
thing, nothing found via google so far

    ### ADDED June 05/06 for postgrey
    smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks  reject_unauth_destination
    check_policy_service inet:127.0.0.1:10023

--
Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting