Sophos failure: sophos-autoupdate is missing new Sophos files

Mark Nienberg lists at tippingmar.com
Wed Nov 4 02:26:32 GMT 2009

Paul Lamb wrote:
> The Sophos AV November 2009 distribution:-
>     Product version           : 4.47.0
>     Engine version            : 3.01.0
>     Virus data version        : 4.47
>     User interface version    : 2.07.250
>     Platform                  : Linux/Intel
>     Released                  : 02 November 2009
>
> is installing additional files
>     ./lib/xvdl*.vdb
>
> sophos-autoupdate will not create softlinks to these in ./ide/
>
> Running sweep through strace shows an open failure on
> /usr/local/Sophos/ide/xvdl01.vdb leading to
>  "Error initialising detection engine - missing part of virus data"
>
> As a quick workround, I have added the following cloned fragment into
> sophos-autoupdate before "Add the new swpmess.dat..." -
>
> # Add the even newer xvdl*.vdb files if they are there
> foreach $vdlsus ("xvdl") {
>   foreach $number (1..99) {
>     $string = $vdlsus . sprintf("%02d", $number) . ".vdb";
>     symlink("$VDLDir/$string", $string) if -f "$VDLDir/$string";
>   }
> }
> # end
>
> I am running MailScanner version 4.72.5 whose version of
> sophos-autoupdate looks little different to the current version.
>
> Regards,
> Paul Lamb
I guess you are using Sophos V4, correct?

I have V5 and it reports:

[root at tesla bin]# savscan -v
SAVScan virus detection utility
Copyright (c) 1989-2009 Sophos Group. All rights reserved.

System time 06:19:20 PM, System date 03 November 2009

Product version           : 4.46.0
Engine version            : 3.00.1
Virus data version        : 4.46
User interface version    : 2.07.249
Platform                  : Linux/Intel
Released                  : 05 October 2009
Total viruses (with IDEs) : 1061548

Information on additional data files:

Data file name            : /opt/sophos-av/lib/sav/daonol-a.ide
Data file type            : IDE
Data file date            : 03 November 2009, 16:12:47
Data file status          : Loaded

etc...

For V5, sophos-autoupdate just calls the Sophos provided savupdate
program and it takes care of itself.  I think the edit you show would
only be needed for V4.

Mark Nienberg