Issue after CentOS upgrade to 5.4 using yum/rpm for perl modules

Edward Prendergast edward.prendergast at netring.co.uk
Mon Nov 2 12:10:17 GMT 2009

Hi,

After having upgraded to CentOS 5.4 I'm seeing the following errors from
MailScanner:

[root at server8 MailScanner]# MailScanner --version
 is only avaliable with the XS version at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Compress/Zlib.pm line 9
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Compress/Zlib.pm line 9.
Compilation failed in require at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Archive/Zip.pm line 24.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Archive/Zip.pm line 24.
Compilation failed in require at
/usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Message.pm line 48.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Message.pm line 48.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 108.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 108.

I tried upgrading to the latest version of MailScanner
(MailScanner-4.78.17-1 installed from MailScanner-4.78.17-1.rpm.tar.gz's
install.sh) but this hasn't resolved the issue.

After yum upgrades downgrading perl packages below the minimum version
requirement for MailScanner my process to fix has usually been:

1) Identify problem packages from MailScanner errors
2) Add these to yum exclude list
3) Reinstall MailScanner stable and allow it to force the packages back
up to the right version

As shown above this approach hasn't worked this time.

Thanks,
Edward

is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, any action taken or
omitted to be taken in reliance on it, any form of reproduction,
dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution and/or
publication of this E-mail message is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful. If you have received this E-mail message in error, please notify
us immediately. Please also destroy and delete the message from your
computer.