advice on upgrade

Benedict simon simon at kmun.gov.kw
Sun May 31 10:54:59 IST 2009

> on 5-24-2009 5:32 AM Benedict simon spake the following:
>> Dear All,
>>
>>  I Have the following setup running fine for about a year or so on a
>>  single server.
>>
>> Centos 5 (final)
> Is this really only at CentOS 5, or is it patched to 5.3?
>
>>  DNS bind-9.3.4-6.0.2.P1.el5_2 as my DNS server
>>  sendmail-8.13.8-2.el5 as my mail server
>>  MailScanner ver 4.66.5
>>  jules easy package Clam-0.92-SA-3.2.4
>>  pyzor-0.4.0
>>  razor-agents-2.84
>>  mailwatch-1.0.4
>>  httpd-2.2.3-11.el5_1
>>
>>  all the above is working fine .
>>
>> now i would like to upgrade to the latest MS stable version and also the
>> stable clamav 0.94 and SA 3.2.5 package
>>
>> since this is  live server i would highly appreciate if  could get some
>> advice
>> and steps about upgrading the MS version to the latest stable version
>> and
>> also the other required packages
>> basically i would
>>
>> 1) stop sendmail and mailscanner
>> 2) download and install jules latest ClamAV 0.95.1 and SpamAssassin
>> 3.2.5
>> easy installation package)
>> 3) download and install mailscanner(4.76.25-1)
>
> I would download them first so your system isn't down as long. I think I
> would
> also use clamav from rpmforge so it is easier to run clamd instead of
> clamscan
> or the clam perl module.
>> 4) run command upgrade_MailScanner_conf
>> 5) run command upgrade_language_conf
> You really want to see if there is a new languages.conf file before
> running
> this, as it will leave you a blank one if you aren't careful.
>>
>> just want to know if latest clam av + SA will run on my current OS or do
>> have to upgrade any OS related files
> If you have run yum update on that system it should be at 5.3. If you
> haven't
> updated it, you run many risks of kernel vulnerabilities and other access
> paths for the internet vermin to move in.
>>
>>  MS was installed from tar.gz package
> Installed from tar.gz, or from rpm.tar.gz=? There is a big difference.

Thanks scott for ur quick reply

Actually before your email I already did upgrade my mailscanner
actually i jus did download and install the jules Mailscanner and
clamva+spamm assain package for the website
stoped mailscanner and then jus did a Service mailScanner startin

ran the upgrade_MailScanner_conf n upgrade_language_conf commands

and everything worked like a charm.

actually b4 i did the upgrade i jus made a discopy of my current hdd with
clonezilla for safety

2) i tried upgrading with yum update but it as giving me errors with perl
modules regarding conflicts ..
and googling arround i found these could be cause of rpms installed from
other sources .

jus googling arround to find some way for the OS upgrade

thanks and regards

simon

>> Thanks and really would appreciate your advice
>>
>> regards
>>

>> simon

Network ADMIN
KUWAIT MUNICIPALITY: