Cached Timeout MailScanner

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Wed May 27 14:47:30 IST 2009

2009/5/27 shyam hirurkar <shyamph at gmail.com>:
> Hi Glenn,
>

> 1. I am using Bayes with mysql
Good. And the MySQL schemas are OK?

> 2. I have increased the spamassassin time out value to 120 Sec
Go wild and set it to 300 (5 minutes);-).

> 3.I am little bit confused about the sa-update I am using the rules-dujour
> to update apert from this do i need to run sa-updats--> not sure..
IIRC, you should be using sa-update for all needed rule updating. If
you search the archives, I'm sure you'll find some nice info on how to
set it up to replace any rulesdujour script. If you use the RPM
install of MS, it will have set up a cron job to run daily
(/etc/cron.daily/update_spamassassin).

> 4. I am using local RBL server which get sync with paid RBL sites.

Ok, and you've disabled all else? Or at least checked them?

If you run
MailScanner --debug --debug-sa
... do you see any telltales where it is spending the time?

> Thanks,
> Shyam
>

> On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 6:10 PM, Glenn Steen <glenn.steen at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> 2009/5/27 shyam hirurkar <shyamph at gmail.com>:
>> > Hi All,
>> >

>> > Even I observe the mailq was 50 and RAM was being utilized  60% and swap
>> > not
>> > at all used. Still I am getting the same error in maillog.... any other
>> > reason...as spams are passing...
>> >

>> > Thanks and Regards,
>> > Shyam
>> (snip)
>> Yes.
>> As mentioned in the other mail I sent you:
>> - Check your bayes seen file, perhaps resetting it (rm .....)
>> - Check if you have any bayes expiry problems (ls
>> /path/to/bayes/*expir*). If you have, consider disabling the automatic
>> expiry and using a cron'd sa-learn --force-expire instead.
>> - Increase the SpamAssassin timout value in MailScanner.conf. The
>> default is very low. I set it to 300 seconds...
>> - run sa-update (if you don't do that automatically, which you should).
>> - Your problems *might* be related to RBLs, so check that and perhaps
>> turn off any offenders
>> - do sa-compile.
>>
>> Cheers
>> --
>> -- Glenn
>> email: glenn < dot > steen < at > gmail < dot > com
>> work: glenn < dot > steen < at > ap1 < dot > se
>> --

-- Glenn