Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue May 26 17:02:59 IST 2009

On 26/05/2009 16:42, Robert Lopez wrote:
> On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 2:54 AM, Julian Field
> <MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk>  wrote:

>>> 1) Use gmane to do your list serching.
>>> 2) DON'T use that debian package provided... 4.55.10 is severely out
>>> of date. It will likely end you in trouble. You can't fight bleeding
>>> edge SPAM/malware with trailing edge versions;).
>>>

>> For starters it won't work with the latest version of ClamAV, unless they
>> have been back-porting changes again.
>>
>> Jules
>>
>> --
>> Julian Field MEng CITP CEng
>> www.MailScanner.info
>> Buy the MailScanner book at www.MailScanner.info/store
>>
>> Need help customising MailScanner?
>> Contact me!
>> Need help fixing or optimising your systems?
>> Contact me!
>> Need help getting you started solving new requirements from your boss?
>> Contact me!
>>
>> PGP footprint: EE81 D763 3DB0 0BFD E1DC 7222 11F6 5947 1415 B654
>> Follow me at twitter.com/JulesFM and twitter.com/MailScanner
>>

>> --
>> believed to be clean.
>>
>> --

> Glenn: Thank you I was not aware of gmane.
>
> Julian: "For starters it won't work with the latest version of ClamAV, ..."
> I am assuming the "it" you refer to is the debian package 4.55.10. correct?

Yes.
> How far back must I go with ClamAV? It looks like the current is
> 0.95.1, would I go back to 0.95.0 or earlier?

Something earlier than 0.94, so 0.93 would be the latest that will be
supported by a MailScanner that old.
And I strongly suspect the current ClamAV signatures won't work
correctly with 0.93 any more, they don't tend to support more than one
or two previous versions on the whole.

Jules

- --
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng