MailScanner on RHEL 3 / CentOS 3?

Dimitri Yioulos dyioulos at firstbhph.com
Tue May 26 14:47:59 IST 2009

<mailscanner at barendse.to>wrote:
> > I still have one server running CentOS 3.9
> > (yes, i should nuke and upgrade that box, i
> > know) which comes with perl 5.8.0
> >
> > Many of the perl modules included in the
> > latest MailScanner version seem to require at
> > least perl 5.8.1
> >
> >  CPAN.pm: Going to build
> > M/MA/MARKOV/MailTools-2.04.tar.gz
> >
> > Perl v5.8.1 required--this is only v5.8.0,
> > stopped at Makefile.PL line 1.
> >

> > Is there any way to install MailScanner on a
> > RHEL3 box? Or is the only way really to nuke
> > that box and upgrade it to something less
> > antique?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > --

I've been running MS, along with sendmail,
mailwatch, SA, and clamav, on a CentOS 3.x box
for the past 5+ years.  I see no reason to ditch
the current setup by upgrading the OS at this
point, and so continue to maintain this mail
server.

The box is running perl-5.8.0.  I've obtained most
of the perl modules that MS uses from the Dag
repository, which I've added the yum's list of
repos.  These have served me well.

I did run into an issue installing
MailScanner-4.76.  IIRC (and this is a bit iffy,
as 1) I was under the gun to get the server back
to good ASAP and wasn't taking notes, and; 2) I
burned up all but about three brain cells years
ago), the update to 4.76 looked to also update
various of the perl modules, causing
incompatibilities.  To fix, I believe I made sure
all of the latest perl modules were installed,
then simply ran the MailScanner RPM by itself.

HTH

Dimitri

believed to be clean.