Using --debug and --debug-sa with Postfix

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed May 13 23:23:03 IST 2009

On 13/05/2009 15:02, Steve Barnes wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm trying to understand how to use --debug and --debug-sa with
> Postfix as the MTA to observe the processing of a single message.
>
> Having stoppped all MailScanner processes, I run:
>
> /opt/MailScanner/bin/MailScanner --debug --debug-sa
>
> I get lots of debug output on screen, with no discernable errors,
> which eventually stops at:
>
> "Building a message batch to scan..."
>
> Now at this point, I thought I could get away with doing:
>
> cp -p /var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine/20090512/spam/A8B5F1168A.A78ED
> /var/spool/postfix/hold

For starters the filename MailScanner is expecting doesn't have the
".A78ED" on the end.
> And MS would come back to life and begin processing the message, but
> it doesn't. It just remains sat at "Building a message batch to
> scan..."
>
> MS runs as user Postfix, and the permissions on the file before and
> after cp are:
>
> -rw-rw----  1 postfix  mail
>
> What am I missing here?
You may well be hitting the "processing-messages" database. If you let
it pick up the message in a batch once and then kill it before it
processes the message, it will eventually stop collecting that message
file. Delete /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/*db before running
MailScanner each time, and make sure the filename is correct as above.
Then it will pick up the message.
>   Does "Quarantine Whole Messages As Queue
> Files" have any bearing on what I'm trying to do?

No, you want that. Just remove the dot and everything after that, as
what you have now is not a valid Postfix queue filename, but one with
extra entropy added by MailScanner to ensure the filenames are distinct.
Without Postfix can use the same filename twice within a relatively
short time period on some systems.

> Thank you
>
> Steve
>
> PS, I'm using: