MailScanner on Fedora SIG (Special Interest Group)

Eli Wapniarski eli at orbsky.homelinux.org
Thu May 7 21:29:07 IST 2009

On Thursday 07 May 2009 22:31:27 Scott Silva wrote:
> on 5-7-2009 12:58 AM Anthony Cartmell spake the following:
> >> So. Again my question. How large is the Fedora + MS userbase.
> >
> > Probably not as large as it could be?
> >
> >> Is it worth to create a SIG within Fedora for the same?
> >
> > If MailScanner could be added to Fedora's repositories then I'm sure
> > that a lot of people would be pleased.
> >
> > I think the main problem will be in finding manpower to keep up with the
> > very-frequent MailScanner releases, updating and testing the Fedora
> > packages each time. I suspect that using the MailScanner rpm tar files,
> > with some fiddles if needed, is likely to be the easiest way to keep
> > going unless we can get a lot of people to help.
> >
> >> Some people already said, that they are willing to help - I guess
> >> you're not a Fedora packager yet? Do you have a RH bugzilla account?
> >
> > Nope, I'm mainly a web developer, with very limited knowledge of the
> > details of packaging things.
> >
> >> Send me/us your +1 if you're interested in such a SIG, so we know (at
> >> least a part of) the userbase.
> >
> > I might be interested, but have many other jobs to do.
> >
> > Anthony
> If Fedora has all the needed modules in repo, then all you would really need
> is a custom spec file with the proper requires in it. Yum install MailScanner
> would then bring in the deps and then you need to edit a sane config.

That really is the trick and there does seem to be some problems with a few perl modules. We would probably need to get one or more of the perl packagers on board to help sort out the issues. Really, there are 2 modules that will not compile and one that requires some interaction during the build process which I'm sure could be worked out with the right expertise.

Please see my post:

http://lists.mailscanner.info/pipermail/mailscanner/2009-May/091510.html

Eli

believed to be clean.