message-processing db notifications

David Lee t.d.lee at durham.ac.uk
Thu May 7 09:24:42 IST 2009

On Wed, 6 May 2009, Julian Field wrote:

> On 06/05/2009 15:18, David Lee wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>> Historically, these notification settings were originally concerned with
>> virus processing but are now, in effect, being deployed beyond that
>> original scope.
>>
>> I can see two reasonably straightforward resolutions:
>>  1. Adjust comments in MS.conf to include expanded scope.
>>
>>  2. Consider different sets of notification definitions for different
>>     classes of events: e.g. existing set 'as-is' for viruses;  a new set
>>     for the message-db; (then another new set for the next feature, etc.).
>>
>> The first is very easy for you to implement, but imposes a "one size has to
>> fit all" behaviour.  The second allows a site to tailor different
>> notification levels for different classes of events.  (Might some sort of
>> 'ruleset'-like capability assist?)
> How about I just make it test to see if "Send Notices = yes" instead, and not
> send the message if it's set to "no"?

(Oops.  I intended, but forgot, to type that into the "1. Adjust comments"
part of my original email.)

It might be worth letting this one simmer in background for a few days as
we mull it over.

For instance, we are a "Send Notices = no" site for viruses.  But for
other sorts of functionality, such as this new msg-db, we would like to be
a "Send Notices = yes" site.  And other sites might want other variants,
such as "yes" in both cases but with different recipients.  And then in a
few months time, MS might get an additional new class of functionality
(just as msg-db is new now) with other possible variants.

Hence my idle wondering about something ruleset-like.  (I was trying to
avoid suggesting yet more options directly in MS.conf!)

I'll try to give it some thought over the next few days.

:  Senior Systems Programmer                Computer Centre       :
:  UNIX Team Leader                         Durham University     :
:                                           South Road            :
:  http://www.dur.ac.uk/t.d.lee/            Durham DH1 3LE        :