Stop incoming mail if message queue exceeds set value

Eduardo Casarero ecasarero at gmail.com
Tue May 5 15:44:56 IST 2009

2009/4/27 Gordon Colyn <gordon at itnt.co.za>:
> Thanks, have implemented these already.  The issue is not on the load, the
> load stays pretty under control.  I just want to stop accepting mail on the
> 1 server so the mails are forced to go to the other servers, i.e. 1000
> messages handled by 4 servers will be quicker than 1000 mails handled by
> 1...

milter-limit? http://www.milter.info/sendmail/milter-limit/ this
milter responses with a 451 xxxx when the amount of N emails in M time
is reached, example when you have recieved 1000 emails in less than 5
minutes sendmail starts answering with 451 (while the 5 minutes are
not complete) so the traffic should go away to other box.