clamavmodule or clamd ?

Rick Cooper rcooper at dwford.com
Tue Mar 31 14:40:21 IST 2009

There is virtually no difference in speed
Clamd uses much less memory/resources
The basic clamd protocol that scans dirs/files hasn't changed in years (or
ever)
	they expanded the protocol for version 0.95 (which did not change
CONTSCAN/MULTISCAN)
	they modified SESSION and STREAM a bit but that doesn't affect the
basic scans either
MailScanner talks directly to the daemon so there are no external calls
requiring a shell
No need to do anything with MailScanner to update the database, not need to
restart when
	Clamav or the signatures are updated
You should monitor the daemon (although it rarely fails) but you are already
monitoring
	your MTA and MailScanner right?

believed to be clean.