Different rules for files within archives

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Mar 29 10:37:31 IST 2009

Just to keep you updated, I've written all the code now. As a rough
guide to the amount of work involved on Friday and yesterday, the diff
is 2,969 lines long. A good couple of days work :-)

I've done some initial testing with zip, rar and tnef files, and it's
all looking very good so far. So far at least 90% of the code is working
nicely, I've just got to test the rest. I want to do some more testing
tomorrow, but I need to take most of today off as I could do with the break.

I've also found a nasty bug in the interaction between "Use TNEF =
replace" and "Zip Attachments = yes", which is clearly a combination
no-one uses, as it didn't work. That's all fixed now too, and it should
be considerably faster unpacking TNEF files (winmail.dat) using the
"TNEF Expander = internal" setting than it was.

I have also managed to speed up all the "filename.rules.conf" and
"filetype.rules.conf" code quite a bit too, which is good.

I should have a beta of all of this out in the next couple of days or so.

Best regards,
Jules.

On 27/3/09 15:36, Julian Field wrote:
> This is turning into a very major job, requiring many changes
> throughout the whole of MailScanner, as the original design was never
> intended to be able to do this.
> However, I am working on it.
> The intention is that you will have totally separate settings for
>     Filename Rules
>     Filetype Rules
>     Allow Filenames
>     Allow Filetypes
>     Allow File MIME Types
>     Deny Filenames
>     Deny Filetypes
>     Deny File MIME Types
> for archived and non-archived attachments.
>
> You will also be able to specify what you consider to be an "archived"
> attachment, be it a file in a zip attachment, a rar attachment, an OLE
> attachment (Word doc, for example), a UU-encoded attachment and a TNEF
> (winmail.dat) attachment.
>
> All these settings will be on a per-message basis and so will take
> rulesets, allowing different clients to have totally different rules
> for their setups.
>
> That's the aim. I'm over half way through the implementation now, but
> none of it has been tested yet. There's going to be a fair bit of
> debugging required, I guarantee that. So beta-testers, on your blocks
> please... :-)
>
> Hopefully this will keep you all happy for a little while ;-)
>
> Jules

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng