MailScanner process stop doing anything?

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Mar 21 00:53:28 GMT 2009

I published that version around the start of June 2004.
That makes your version nearly 5 years old.
Sorry, but there is no feasible way for me to support a version quite
*that* old.

Someone else may have a few ideas of things you could look at, but I
can't help you, a few bugs have been ironed out since then :-)

It sounds as if you have a rogue message in your queue that is hanging
up MailScanner. More than that, I can't guess.

Sorry.

Jules.

On 3/20/09 6:34 PM, Dodson, Ron wrote:

> Running MailScanner 4.31.6 on Solaris 9, Sun v440 with 4 processors.
> It seems like the MailScanner process just stop doing anything after a
> few minutes. They’re still running, but no messages are moving from in
> queue to out.
>
> I’m doing only virus scanning, no spam assassin or anything else. I
> have a lyris mailing list server sending large blasts of mail to my
> MailScanner server, in addition to it handling normal incoming and
> outgoing mail. It’s configured not to scan anything coming from the
> Lyris server. Running 10 children, mailscanner work directory on tmpfs.
>
> At the moment I have over 60,000 messages in the in queue, I’ve been
> manually re-starting mailscanner every 10 minutes or so. Whenever I
> restart, it does 3 or 4 batches and then seems to stop doing anything
> again. Meanwhile the in queue grows ever larger.
>
> Ron Dodson
>
> Sr. Network Engineer
>
> Lockheed Martin
>
> Business Process Services