McAfee autoupdater debugging

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Mar 17 22:45:00 GMT 2009

On 17/3/09 20:00, Scott Silva wrote:
> on 3-17-2009 1:38 AM Glenn Steen spake the following:

>>> IIRC there simply is none.... Was a while since last I looked though,
>>> so the usual memory corruption might have happened:-).
>>> I'll take a look and see what I find. In the mean time, might one
>>> suggest a "not-so-complex" find/cron solution?;)
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>> As suspected, the cleanup in that script is fairly broken, it seems. A
>> lot of energy is laid on getting the "previous version", but ... only
>> that. Seems like the script never reaches the delete part during
>> normal operation ... unless "-d" is specified, no deletion will take
>> place anyhow, so ... simplest is likely to do a simple cron thing,
>> rather than trying to fix the script... or do some manual cleanup once
>> in a while:-). At least as a fix. Then perhaps go over the logic of
>> that script a bit more. Seems less than optimal in some ways, when it
>> comes to cleanup:-).
>>
>> I might have a minute or two during the next couple of days, although
>> .. as things are, I cannot promise anything.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
> I just seem to remember it cleaning up after itself in the past (maybe distant
> past), so I had not been checking until I got a low space warning on the /usr
> partition.
> I guess I will just write ANOTHER cron job to clean this monster up.

I don't run McAfee myself at all, so have to rely on some third-party
code to do the updates. If you can suggest improvements to the code
(even just descriptions of exactly what files I can get rid of would be
better than nothing) then I'll happily improve the script.

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng

Contact me at Jules at Jules.FM