McAfee autoupdater debugging

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue Mar 17 20:00:27 GMT 2009

on 3-17-2009 1:38 AM Glenn Steen spake the following:
> 2009/3/17 Glenn Steen <glenn.steen at gmail.com>:
>> 2009/3/17 Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>:
>>> on 3-16-2009 4:32 PM Scott Silva spake the following:

>>> Never mind on the updating, it was a corrupted virus.scanners.conf, but I
>>> still need a clue stick on the auto deletion of the old dat files, I will read
>>> the code some more in the AM.
>>>
>> IIRC there simply is none.... Was a while since last I looked though,
>> so the usual memory corruption might have happened:-).
>> I'll take a look and see what I find. In the mean time, might one
>> suggest a "not-so-complex" find/cron solution?;)
>>
>> Cheers
>
> As suspected, the cleanup in that script is fairly broken, it seems. A
> lot of energy is laid on getting the "previous version", but ... only
> that. Seems like the script never reaches the delete part during
> normal operation ... unless "-d" is specified, no deletion will take
> place anyhow, so ... simplest is likely to do a simple cron thing,
> rather than trying to fix the script... or do some manual cleanup once
> in a while:-). At least as a fix. Then perhaps go over the logic of
> that script a bit more. Seems less than optimal in some ways, when it
> comes to cleanup:-).
>
> I might have a minute or two during the next couple of days, although
> .. as things are, I cannot promise anything.
>
> Cheers
I just seem to remember it cleaning up after itself in the past (maybe distant
past), so I had not been checking until I got a low space warning on the /usr
partition.
I guess I will just write ANOTHER cron job to clean this monster up. ;-P

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and