Commercial Antivirus scanner capabilities

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 16:31:09 GMT 2009

2009/3/11 Alex Broens <ms-list at alexb.ch>:
> On 3/11/2009 3:33 PM, Jonas Akrouh Larsen wrote:
>>
>> Hi all
>>

>> I recently had to renew one of our antivirus licenses for mailscanner.
>>

>> And I got to thinking, do anybody use a product which on top of simple
>> virus
>> protection also
>>
>> includes some sort of spam protection which can be used in combination
>> with
>> mailscanner?
>>

>> The reason I am asking is that a lot of the AV companies got anti spam
>> products so I was just wondering if
>>
>> Any of them could be used in combination with mailscanner to help
>> spamassassin kill all the spam.
>>

>> Atm. we use:
>>
>> F-secure (Which includes kaspersky’s engine)
>>
>> ClamAV (Obviously)
>>
>> ESET NOD32 (Because we got a great deal with them)
>

>> Of those I only know about 3rd party sigs for ClamAV.
>>

>> So if anybody have any tips or suggestions let me know J
>
> Cloudmark has a very nice SA plugin, good service, great support, if you can
> afford the costs. Does lots of nice magic.
>
> Commtouch is a weird company to deal with, their stuff is FP prone.
> I never got to test their SA plugin as after getting 4 mails fullof
> marketing PDF fluff, they weren't willing to deliver a trial, after filling
> a trial form, go figure..

WatchGuard uses Commtouch for antispam... So far the vote in the user
community has been that it is cr*p... I did try to use it during a
very brief test period, but ... couldn't stand the FPs.
The though there was that we could use that service as a fallback if
things went south with our MS boxes. The solution to that was to have
another spare MS box that doubles as a testbed instead:).

> McAfee's Artemis is doing good stuff as AV.
>
> pointers may be of some use.
>
> Alex

Cheers
--