Commercial Antivirus scanner capabilities

Alex Neuman alex at rtpty.com
Wed Mar 11 14:47:08 GMT 2009

I've personally and subjectively found antispam products from people other
than Julian lacking in almost every respect - from bad default settings to
false positives in ranges too high to work comfortably.

I've also found that ClamAV by itself is very good - and when combined with
one (or more, if hardware allows) commercial engines you get a very thin
additional layer of protection that's not bad, but the licensing has to be
really cheap in order to get a reasonable ROI.

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 9:33 AM, Jonas Akrouh Larsen <jonas at vrt.dk> wrote:

>  Hi all
>

> I recently had to renew one of our antivirus licenses for mailscanner.
>

> And I got to thinking, do anybody use a product which on top of simple
> virus protection also
>
> includes some sort of spam protection which can be used in combination with
> mailscanner?
>

> The reason I am asking is that a lot of the AV companies got anti spam
> products so I was just wondering if
>
> Any of them could be used in combination with mailscanner to help
> spamassassin kill all the spam.
>

> Atm. we use:
>
> F-secure (Which includes kaspersky’s engine)
>
> ClamAV (Obviously)
>
> ESET NOD32 (Because we got a great deal with them)
>

> Of those I only know about 3rd party sigs for ClamAV.
>

> So if anybody have any tips or suggestions let me know J
>

> Jonas A. Larsen, Support
>

> Mailscan.nu | Laplandsgade 4 | Postboks 4004 | 2300 København S |
> www.mailscan.nu

Alex Neuman van der Hans
Reliant Technologies
+507 6781-9505