OT: problem with Outlook message size

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue Mar 10 23:26:10 GMT 2009

on 3-10-2009 12:27 PM Chris Yuzik spake the following:
> My apologies for the off-topic message; I'm asking here hoping that
> someone may have run into this before and might have a solution. I have
> searched the net to no avail. Sadly, I'm not aware of a message-board or
> e-discussion list where this would be on-topic. If anyone knows of one,
> please let me know.
>
> I'm having a strange problem with Outlook on some machines but not
> others: the message size is incorrectly reported, usually by a factor of
> 4x. The problem is reproduce-able and on affected machines happens on
> each and every message. If I send a 1 MB attachment with a message, the
> message comes in and is reported by Outlook as 4 MB. A 2 MB attachment
> becomes 8 MB, and so on. There are other people with virtually identical
> configurations that are not affected.
>
> Affected email clients: MS Outlook 2003 (SP3) and MS Outlook 2007 (SP1).
> All affected machines are running WinXP Pro SP3.
>
> I have tried disabling all Outlook plug-ins, starting Outlook in safe
> mode, creating a new profile, even running Windows in "safe mode with
> networking" and the problem persists. I have tried disabling the
> client-level anti-virus software, as well as uninstalling it and
> rebooting. I have tried using POP3 and SSL-POP3, thinking the problem
> could be caused by the firewall. I've even tried re-imaging the machine,
> without improvement.
>
> Saving the attachment to the local machine results in the attachment
> being sized properly.
>
> If I set up Outlook Express to download the same email message, it comes
> in as its proper size.
>
> Forwarding the artificially larger message to an unaffected machine has
> the message come in at the appropriate size.
>
> Accessing the mail via a webmail client show the attachments at their
> proper sizes.
>
> Changing over to a different email client is not an option, as Outlook
> is the only allowed email client according to the company policy.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris
Look at the following section in MailScanner.conf;

# When the TNEF (winmail.dat) attachments are expanded, should the
# attachments contained in there be added to the list of attachments in
# the message?
# If you set this to "add" or "replace" then recipients of messages sent
# in "Outlook Rich Text Format" (TNEF) will be able to read the attachments
# if they are not using Microsoft Outlook.
#
# no      => Leave winmail.dat TNEF attachments alone.
# add     => Add the contents of winmail.dat as extra attachments, but also
#            still include the winmail.dat file itself. This will result in
#            TNEF messages being doubled in size.
# replace => Replace the winmail.dat TNEF attachment with the files it
#            contains, and delete the original winmail.dat file itself.
#            This means the message stays the same size, but is usable by
#            non-Outlook recipients.
#
# This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
Use TNEF Contents = replace

What do you have that set at?
If you have it set at "add" it could make the messages 2x bigger. Add quoted
printable encoding and it could add 25% to 30% more.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and