A new setup

Mike Wallace mike at mlrw.com
Fri Jun 26 00:40:42 IST 2009

Will,

I have a somewhat similar use and setup. I too run mail for my private
consulting company and my family and had problems with lots of spam in
the past.

But in my case my internet provider is my cable company and restricts
smtp access so I have to have all of my incoming email go through
DynDNS.com MailHop Relay and all of my outbound mail has to go out
through their mail server.

My MailScanner is a Centos 5.3 x64, mailscanner-4.77.10-1,
spamassassin-3.2.5-1, clamav-0.95.2-4, postfix-2.3.3-2.1, dcc-1.3.103,
pyzor-0.5.0 and razor-agents-2.84-1. I have a separate mail server
running Zimbra 5.0 with spamassassin turned off.

In my setup I have postifx first check for valid recipient user names
using ldap queries of the Zimbra user directory. I was getting a lot
of spam where the "From:" or "envelope-from" would be a valid or
invalid account name from my own domain, so I now reject all of those
messages too.

As for MailScanner, I use the spamhaus-ZEN and spamcop.net Spam Lists.
For all spam, I tag them {SPAM?} for low scoring spam and {SPAM??} for
high scoring spam and forward them to a specific account on my mail
server where I review them daily.

Since this configuration went live on June 3rd, I have significantly
reduced spam. For example, yesterday Postfix rejected 198 messages,
MailScanner processed 221 messages  of which 146 were marked as spam.
Out of the remaining 75 messages, there were no false positives and 18
false negatives that got through.

I report all of the false negatives to spamcop and then feed them back
into spamassassin using sa-learn. Soon I will start dropping all of
the high scoring spam once I get enough evidence that no ham gets
marked as high scoring spam.

Mike