ERROR: The "envelope_sender_header" in your spam.assassin.prefs.conf

Gerry Maddock gmaddock at futuremetals.com
Mon Jun 22 19:10:51 IST 2009

Hey all, I ran a search of my current problem on google and found some
answers, but none have worked for me & I'm hoping you can help.
I just installed MailScanner on a Fedora 11 sys using postfix. When I run
MailScanner --lint on that system I get:
root at timmy ~]# MailScanner --lint
Trying to setlogsock(unix)
Read 855 hostnames from the phishing whitelist
Read 10091 hostnames from the phishing blacklists
Checking version numbers...
Version number in MailScanner.conf (4.77.10) is correct.
Your setting "Mail Header" contains illegal characters.
This is most likely caused by your "%org-name%" setting
which must not contain any spaces, "." or "_" characters
as these are known to cause problems with many mail systems.
ERROR: The "envelope_sender_header" in your spam.assassin.prefs.conf
ERROR: is not correct, it should match
X-timmy.futuremetals.com-MailScanner-From
MailScanner setting GID to  (89)
MailScanner setting UID to  (89)
Checking for SpamAssassin errors (if you use it)...
Using SpamAssassin results cache
Connected to SpamAssassin cache database
SpamAssassin reported no errors.
I have found clamav scanners installed, and will use them all by default.
Connected to Processing Attempts Database
Created Processing Attempts Database successfully
There are 0 messages in the Processing Attempts Database
Using locktype = posix
MailScanner.conf says "Virus Scanners = auto"
Found these virus scanners installed: clamav

The weird thing is I have MailScanner 4.60.8 running on Fedora 7 with the
same settings (other than hostname) and it has no complaints:
[root at jimmy ~]# MailScanner --lint
Read 861 hostnames from the phishing whitelist
Checking version numbers...
Version number in MailScanner.conf (4.60.8) is correct.
MailScanner setting GID to  (89)
MailScanner setting UID to  (89)

Checking for SpamAssassin errors (if you use it)...
Using SpamAssassin results cache
Connected to SpamAssassin cache database
SpamAssassin reported no errors.
Using locktype = flock
MailScanner.conf says "Virus Scanners = auto"
Found these virus scanners installed: clamav, avg

Here is my current MailScanner.conf & spam.assassin.prefs.conf's applicable
data:
MailScanner.conf:
current: %org-name% = timmy.futuremetals.com
have tried: %org-name% = FMI

spam.assassin.prefs.conf:
current: bayes_ignore_header X-YOURDOMAIN-COM-MailScanner
current: bayes_ignore_header X-YOURDOMAIN-COM-MailScanner-SpamCheck
current: bayes_ignore_header X-YOURDOMAIN-COM-MailScanner-SpamScore
current: bayes_ignore_header X-YOURDOMAIN-COM-MailScanner-Information
have tried: bayes_ignore_header X-FMI-MailScanner
have tried: bayes_ignore_header X-FMI-MailScanner-SpamCheck
have tried: bayes_ignore_header X-FMI-MailScanner-SpamScore
have tried: bayes_ignore_header X-FMI-MailScanner-Information

***On my working MailScanner 4.60.8 installation I have it set & working
with no complaints as:
MailScanner.conf:
%org-name% = jimmy.futuremetals.com

spam.assassin.prefs.conf:
current: bayes_ignore_header X-YOURDOMAIN-COM-MailScanner
current: bayes_ignore_header X-YOURDOMAIN-COM-MailScanner-SpamCheck
current: bayes_ignore_header X-YOURDOMAIN-COM-MailScanner-SpamScore
current: bayes_ignore_header X-YOURDOMAIN-COM-MailScanner-Information

As shown above I have tried MailScanner.conf & spam.assassin.prefs.conf
with both configurations, restarting MailScanner after changes, then
running --lint. Any help would be greatly appreciated.