Problem with Exim and Mailscanner

James Gray james at gray.net.au
Tue Jun 16 09:53:51 IST 2009

On 15/06/2009, at 5:44 PM, Jonas A. Larsen wrote:

> I have made a simple mod of the Debian init script so it works with
> 1 initscript which starts both exim processes.

Nice work Jonas :)  The reason I avoided a single-script approach was
so that the original init script was left completely untouched with
the "hacked" scripted becoming "/etc/init.d/exim4.out".  The rationale
was that during an exim upgrade/update from Debian, the original
script would be "upgradeable" and left functional afterwards.  Then if
there is any porting work to the second script, you can do that at
your leisure.  However, once you heavily modify the original script,
you have to manage your own updates to init script and upgrades may
leave the modified script non-functional.

I was running Debian in a production environment and couldn't justify
the risk to the "powers that be" and so stayed with the 2-script
approach.  3 years down the track, and having migrated to Ubuntu LTS,
my pair of scripts are still going even after many upgrades and updates.

Not saying either approach is right or wrong...just highlighting the
differences between them :)  FWIW, I've grabbed a copy of your script
for reference any way!

Cheers,

James