Performance numbers for a DELL R710

Zaeem Arshad zaeem.arshad at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 13:54:20 IST 2009

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 6:38 PM, Steve Freegard <steve.freegard at fsl.com>wrote:

> Alex Neuman wrote:
> > you mentioned asynchronous logging... Can you point us to a FAQ or a
> > description of how this works, and why it's a good thing? Any cons?
>
> I believe this is already in the MAQ/Wiki.
>
> To enable asynchronous logging you change your syslog.conf entry from:
>
> mail.*                  /var/log/maillog

> mail.*                  -/var/log/maillog
>
> On a mail server this can have a considerable effect on performance as
> syslog doesn't run sync() calls after each write and therefore allows
> the kernel to manage the writes to disk which can have a considerable
> advantage for disk IO but with the disadvantage that if the machine
> crashes or loses power that you'll be missing some of the most recent
> log entries.  As part of any performance tuning - I *always* enable this.

Apart from this, I have found that moving to XFS or ext4 (if you have the
courage) makes queue handling pretty fast. With the 24 GB RAM, I am
considering having my hold queue on the tmpfs. This though carries the risk
of mail loss in case of an power outage for which I have sufficient
arrangements. Has anyone used other filesystems such as JFS or Reiser or
even ext2? What's your experience?

--
Zaeem