New feature - hostname lookups in rulesets

Alex Neuman alex at rtpty.com
Tue Jun 2 18:16:44 IST 2009

Whitelisting from @blackberry.com will result in whitelisting any e-mails
that *say* they're from whatevertheywant at blackberry.com, even though their
reverse DNS might be
host-146.do-not-receive-mail-from-me.otherwise-you-ll.die.a.horrible.horrible-and-painful.death.badisp.com,
whereas the new option would allow joe at joesbananas.com to e-mail you through
his blackberry - and you'd receive the e-mail from joe at joesbananas.com via
nice.little.blackberry.server-34.blackberry.com and it would "hit" that rule
since it comes from a *host* whose reverse dns ends with blackberry.com - or
at least that's what I think it does.

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 11:59 AM, Mike M <mrm at quantumcc.com> wrote:

> Julian Field wrote:

>> On 31/05/2009 20:41, Alex Neuman wrote:
>>
>>> Wow! This means we can whitelist (gasp!) *blackberry.com <
>>> http://blackberry.com> and things like that!
>>>
>> You'll just need to do
>>     From: host:blackberry.com yes
>> which will do the job.
>>
>>> I suggest you add to the description on the comments on the
>>> MailScanner.conf file that it's imperative - for performance reasons,
>>> besides the fact that it's A Good Idea (tm), that people run their own local
>>> caching nameserver.
>>>
>> True enough, I should do that.
>>

> Please forgive my ignorance on this, because I'm sure there's something
> really simple that I'm missing, but how is this any different then
> whitelisting blackberry.com with a line such as:
>
> from:   @blackberry.com yes
>
> which I have been doing for many years in my spam.whitelist.rules file?
> There's got to be something I'm not getting about this new feature.
>
> Mike

Alex Neuman van der Hans
Reliant Technologies
+507 6781-9505