Spamassassin timeouts

Chris Barber chris at techquility.net
Sun Jul 26 15:58:19 IST 2009

>On 23/07/2009 15:31, Jonas A. Larsen wrote:
>>
>> I actualy traced it down to all the timeouts happening around 05:00.
>>
>> That is when the mysql backup runs, so I think it must be some some
>> sort of mysql being unavailable while the backup runs.
>>>
>What other cron jobs happen on your system around then? Such as all the

>ones in /etc/cron.daily? (Your /etc/crontab will tell you when those
get
>run). It may be that is when the sa-rebuild happens, which is when it
>cleans up the Bayes database and removes all the old tokens from it.
>This makes Bayes unavailable for quite a while. Look for "Bayes" in
>MailScanner.conf and you will find there are some configuration options

>to alter this behaviour.
>
>> I use mysql for both mailwatch and bayes.
>>
>> However I still believe a retry function for SA timeouts would be
nice
>> to have in MS.
>>
>> Julian: Please add it to wish list J

I recently had a server that was having spamassassin timeouts and
showing mysql using a lot of cpu. Turned out on this server the cron job
for cleaning up bayes was missing so the bayes tables were growing
uncontrollably. Running sa-learn --force-expire, and then running an
optimize table on all bayes tables, cleaned this up. Then we added a
cron job to clean up bayes every night.

-Chris