{Spam?} Re: Spam but no randomly no Spam Report

Gary Faith gafaith at asdm.net
Fri Jul 3 15:49:24 IST 2009

I think it is a perfectly legitimate question and not orthogonal.  MailScanner calls SA, SA returns information and MailScanner reports it.

The reason why I asked it is that the only messages without all the information in the spamreport are the ones with isspam=1, isrblspam=1, issaspam=0 & ishighspam=0.  ALL other messages including clean messages generate a full report.  According to Jules, last message is that you have to turn on

Always Include SpamAssassin Report = yes

to get a report.  And he wrote:

>Absolutely correct. You don't want the inefficiency of always generating
>the report, which involves always running SA, so don't be surprised when
>you don't get the report.

My problem with this is that I get a report on clean messages so the logic of not getting report is SA doesn't think it is spam is not correct.

Here is the report on a clean message:

SpamAssassin Score:-0.50
Spam Report:
ScoreMatching RuleDescription
-0.50BAYES_00Bayesian spam probability is 0 to 1%
-0.00SPF_PASSSPF: sender matches SPF record

On a message that meets the criteria in the first sentence, I get this:

SpamAssassin Score:-0.49
Spam Report:spam, SORBS-RECENT
If I go to the quarantine directory and run spamassassin:

mscan:/var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine # spamassassin <  20090703/spam/n63D7E9n010959

I get the following back:

        shortcircuit=no autolearn=unavailable version=3.2.5

Now for some reason, SpamAssassin is returning BAYES_00, HTML_MESSAGE when I run it manually but MailScanner doesn't include them in the spamreport.

How can that be?

Gary

2009/7/3 Gary Faith <gafaith at asdm.net>:
> Was really hoping to get an answer to the question below!

> When Spamassassin returns it's scores, where are you pulling the data from?
> Is it in the header from X-Spam-Status:  returned from Spamassassin

> shortcircuit=no autolearn=unavailable version=3.2.5
> or in the body somewhere?
> Gary
SpamAssassin is called as a perlmodule directly from within
MailScanner itself, so there never is a need to parse any header lines
or somesuch. If you need more detail, either wait for Jules to expand
on it, or read the code;-).
Why is it important to you? IIRC the thread mainly circled around why
there were a dirth of reports when thing other than SA reported it as
spam ... and a bit on how to get MS to always include the SA report.
So to me, this question is pretty orthogonal;-)
(snip)

Cheers
--
-- Glenn