Starting postfix from mailscanner

Alex Broens ms-list at alexb.ch
Wed Jul 1 12:39:42 IST 2009

On 7/1/2009 12:50 PM, mog wrote:

> Alex Broens wrote:
>>>
>>> Interesting. I've not seen any documentation to support this
>>> (MailScanner starting Postfix itself) in all my reading to date -
>>> where did you read about it?
>>>
>>> I run Postfix with MailScanner and simply use the rc.d/rc.conf to
>>> start Postfix and then start MailScanner...did I miss something? :)
>>
>> check out:
>>
>> http://mailscanner.info/postfix.html
>>
>> h2h
>>
>> Alex
>
> I don't see any reference to mailscanner trying to start postfix on the
> http://mailscanner.info/postfix.html web page, and would be very shocked
> if that were the case.

you'd survive that shock :-)

___
If on a system installed using the RedHat RPM distribution, just use the
init.d script to do it all for you:
/etc/rc.d/init.d/MailScanner start
(or on RedHat systems just service MailScanner start) If not using the
RedHat RPM distribution, then

    1. Start Postfix
       postfix start
    2. Start MailScanner
       check_MailScanner
____

iirc, if you use install via Jules' installer package, on some Red Hat
flavour MailScanner's init script controlls Postfix.

see /etc/rc.d/init.d/MailScanner

How it works on other OSs/Distros, I can't tell.